Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Kite Running Should be Happy, Right?

After reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, I had a sudden urge to read picture books and never read another chapter book. That is not because it was bad but because it was overwhelmingly sad. Sure it was happy in the end, but that still means that it was sad. In the Kite Runner, it wasn't the violence or death or the things that the main character did that made the book sad, it was what the character didn't do. The book is about a rich privileged Iraqians relationship with his slave. It is also about a boy who's father has done much in his and find himself under pressure to be like his father. After reading this book I couldn't help that feeling that without regret, there would be no story in the book. I think that regret is good for people, regret tells people what they need to do. In the book, the main character finds himself overwhelmed with a feeling of regret of how he treated his slave. I couldn't help wondering if he had done anything to try and help his situation, would he be feeling the regret that he did in the book?

After reading the book I thought of the song Words I Never Said by Trey Songz, one of it's lyrics is: "As I'm Drowned in my Regrets, I can't take back the words I never said." This suggests that instead of not doing anything, which will just lead to regret, you should say something because at least you can take back words that you've said. After listening to this song I had a bit of an epiphany that lasted for about an hour. Never do anything that will give you regrets, in the Kite Runner's case, it would be better to get a few bruises than to have regrets for the rest of your life. I think that is what the main character realized when he goes back to his home country to leave his regrets. 

I think the book Kite Runner is a great example of why the lines said by Trey Songz are true. In the book the main character goes back to his country to explain his feelings to the person that he wronged, only to find that that person was murdered. When he learns that that person's son is in an orphanage, he knows that the only way to quench his regrets is to adopt the baby. he realizes that if he had just done something than he wouldn't be drowned in his regrets. Regret is a very strong emotion but there's a very simple way to vanquish regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment