 |
| NRAs new video game, "NRA, Practice Range" |
I have not being paying very much attention to the gun policy debate. I have listened to my parents complain about the NRA all the time, but only now do I see something that in my opinion is an outrage. The article NRA spits on the graves of Newtown massacre victims with release of mobile shoot-'em-up app for iPhone, iPad is about the new game created by the NRA that contains the player shooting with the same gun used by the killer in the Sandy Hook killings at coffin-shape targets. I think that making this game just a month after the Sandy Hook shooting should not be done. Adding to the outrage, in Apple's review of the game they suggested the game for people of ages 4+. I think that Apple should be sponsoring games that support gun usage and the fact that it has references towards the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary.
In the game, in between practice rounds they give you firearm safety tips in the game for four year-olds. Why will gun safety tips be of importance to 4 year-olds? This is just another example of the NRAs attempts to oppose the anti-gun petitions going on. While many politicians are trying to tighten gun laws, the NRA opposing this and are suggesting putting armed guards at all schools. After hearing this, I couldn't help but wonder if the NRA realized how ridiculous this sounds, putting more armed guards in school would just raise the possibility of school shootings. NRA also suggested that teachers be trained in gun violence so that they can protect their students. The NRA initially blamed the Sandy Hook Killings against violent video games. Now the fact that they are making a violent video for 4 year olds, I don't know why they have influence in the world of politics.
The deaths at Sandy Hook Elementary were a catastrophe. The NRA is giving us both a reminder and a encouragement for this catastrophe. By making a video game, the NRA is keeping the killing alive. But I think the biggest outrage done by the NRA is the message they are sending out. They are aiming specifically for children and supporting gun use. This is a major issue in the world right now and I hope people realize the ridiculousness of NRAs video game and ideas.
As horrible as it is, the most respectful thing we can do about this situation, is to ignore it. Completely. Do not even look at it funny for a second. We may look like jerks, but if we pretend like we don't care about shootings, than no one will commit them anymore. This is because all the killers want is fame. They want you to hate them. That is all they want and by constantly going over it again and again, we are only giving them what they want. Now we can try and just step up security with more drills as we did on Cowboy Funday. (GRR!!!) But the point I'm making is, don't give those killers the satisfaction of being remembered. 'Cause if you do, you'll only be helping them.
ReplyDeletegreat job i think you made some really nice points and made a great real world connection
ReplyDeleteYou make a great point Isaac. This all seems horrible. Why would someone (or a big company) do that?
ReplyDeleteBut, there still is the possibility that it is just a great coincidence.
Great job!