Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Someone up There

Who controls what actions of humans?
       Is there a person up in the sky that controls all of our lives? That is a question that has been asked a huge amount of times. Kurt Vonnegut, being the dark humor writer that he is has created a world in which the Earth and the Human Race was only created so that a part of the species that created the Earth who is stranded on a planet can receive the part he needs for his spaceship. Everything that occurs in life is merely so that one being can relive their life. This is obviously ridiculous and untrue. But what I am curious about is the meaning of this bold statement that Vonnegut states in his book The Sirens of Titan. What if the human race was created just for a very small part of a much bigger thing. The human race acts like we rule the entire universe, but how can we be sure we aren't just Pawns. I think that's what Kurt Vonnegut wants people to think about. He wants people to feel unsure about human superiority in life. He wants us to wonder about why we are really living in this world. 
    
           In the book the main character is very lucky. There is something about him that makes him successful no matter what terrible thing he does. Whenever anybody asks about his extraordinary luck, he will just shrug his shoulders and say, "I guess somebody up there likes me." This struck me as an interesting comment. It is very vague, Vonnegut does not specify that their is a God that likes Malachi (the main character). I think that that is a good way to look at life. Somebody, something is controlling what happens to me. 

         I like to think about life as if it is a improvisation play. You have a theme, but you can do what you like within that theme. But The Sirens of Titan made me wonder if people have no control over their lives. Maybe somebody is making me write this right now. Maybe it's not a improvisation play, maybe it's a scripted play. Maybe when you go off book you die. I know this all seems very random to you, but these were just thoughts I had after reading this book. 

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Issac.
    It was good how you were able to connect your book to an EXCRUCIATINGLY avid problem in our real world. I also like how you were able to transition your post throughout it. You brought it through and ended the post fluently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Isaac. There might or might not be something above that controls us. It could be a kitty (as your picture suggests). But should people blame their doings one this thing? Seems unfair and a cheap way of getting out of something. People can depend on this being too much.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete