Wednesday, October 31, 2012

World of Will Graysons

Tiny Cooper lives in a crazy world. His best name is Will Grayson and one of his ex-boyfriends name is Will Grayson. But that's not the least of it, he lives a life that everyone is jealous of. He may be gay, but everybody is jealous of him. That is because he is completely uncaring of any teasing or mistreatment he gets. People envy the type of people who don't need to be popular to be happy with themselves. But perhaps the most envious of all these people are the two Will Graysons. One Will Grayson is very self conscious of himself, he hates the way people think he's gay just because he is Tiny Coopers best friend. He also hates that even when he's Tiny Coopers best friend it is Tiny Cooper who is the leader of the relationship. He doesn't get to decide where to go. Tiny does, and Will Grayson hates that. The other Will Grayson envies how Tiny Cooper can be so sure of himself. He hates that he is this depressed boy living with his mother because his father left when he was a kid, while Tiny Cooper has a great family that is so rich, Tiny literally has his own house. To be envious of the same people isn't a usual way that relationships get started, but I guess also having the exact same name can also help, because Will Grayson and Will Grayson formed kind of a special bond. They both wished they could be more like Tiny Cooper. 

I have never read a book like Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. Maybe I should start with the fact that the book wasn't written by these two authors together in the way that you might think. John Green wrote the chapters by one Will Grayson, and David Levithan wrote the chapters for the other Will Grayson. One thing I loved about the book was how the two authors attempted to make the two Will Graysons as different as possible. They did this in many different ways, one of them was very simple.The depressed Will Grayson wrote using bad grammar and no capitals. The other Will Grayson used good grammar. This was just a simple way to set the two people apart but I found it quite effective. Another way of splitting the two characters apart was by the families. One was a loving family that seemed almost too good to be true. The other was a kind of sad family with just one loving mother who wished she could be doing more for her depressed son. 

The questions I had after reading this book had nothing to do with being gay or learning to cope with depression. They weren't any of the topics of the book that I think most people would wonder about. What I thought about was, if two Will Graysons who at one time may seem like opposites, meet and seem like almost one person, how much do names really matter in a person? If you get two people with the same DNA but different names, will they be very similar people, or will they drift apart just because of the names given to them when they were to young to walk? Can two people who always look around when the named LeSean McCoy is called, be "soulmates"? All of these questions I wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment