![]() |
| An example of a cartoon in the book. |
Sherman Alexie, the author of this book grew up on an Indian Reservation, and you can tell that even though this is not an auto-biography, some of what he writes about he has gone through. For example, he talks about the impact of alcohol on reservations. The main character, Junior has a good reason to despise alcohol, most of the deaths on his reservation are caused by alcohol. But Junior does not hate alcohol, he is beyond grief which means he is beyond hate too. I wonder if Sherman Alexie once felt as if he couldn't cry, because he was beyond the point of crying. His pain was already a layer back from crying.
I have never felt like this in my life, but I think that I have had one experience that is a bit similar to Juniors. My aunt Beth had been diagnosed with brain cancer and we knew she was going to die. But the hard part was waiting, and visiting her in the hospital, because you could just tell that she was beyond grief. No crying could help her, she was going to die. I think that's how Junior felt in The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, crying does not always help the situation. I am reading this blog post know and I realize that after reading this hilarious book, I am writing a very depressing blog post. Maybe that's what Sherman Alexie wanted, for us to see beyond the humor.

Issac,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very deep post. I never thought about what you said. This idea of being beyond the pain and the sorrow. I agree with you completely. I feel like after a while there is nothing that you can do, you co0me to terms with it and accept it, just like junior.
Great job
Milo
I agree with you. The example you put on the right really made me think.
ReplyDeleteI think you analyzed this book very strongly. I agree with you about the point beyond. where you feel nothing. Where emotions aren't felt.
ReplyDeleteIsaac this post is very touching. I completely agree with what you are saying. I think you connected to real life nicely and it really made me want to read the book. Nice Job!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Isaac, I think you got at what we are all thinking. I aplaud your ability to take a complicated thing, and make it understandable.
ReplyDelete